Sunday, July 27, 2014

dusting day

Today's chilly rain left us without a lot to do - no weeding, and few customers. But it gave us time to clean more deeply than usual - to sweep up, hose down, and wipe off. Rainy days are when the dust is lifted, when things are picked up and swept under, when long-forgotten dropped things are finally coaxed out from deep under our work bench and returned to their proper places. Every wine bottle and jam jar is carefully dusted; the mat out back is hosed clean. Just in time for the mud that rainy days also bring - but still, we get a chance to do a deeper clean than we'd have time for on a sunny day. We put on some of Jim's reggae music and made the most of it.

As the summer progresses and I see more sides to the farm's operation, I'm starting to get the big picture of how things work, and I feel better equipped to answer customers' questions. Right down to the geography of the farm: weeding has taken me to the lettuce, salad mix, cabbage, kale, cucumber, and pea fields. During strawberry season, I could only gesture vaguely toward the U-Pick field, never having been over there myself. Now, if anyone were to be interested in picking their own cabbage, I would know just where to direct them... But the geography lessons have given me some useful information as well. Having seen the vegetables, I know how far along they are and when they will likely be picked. And now I know what Rachel is talking about when she describes a place as, "You know, just past the beet greens."

Shelling pea season is, sadly, over, but tomorrow, unless the rain throws a wrench in Penny's plans, expect peppers!


No comments:

Post a Comment