Tuesday, July 8, 2014

bye bye berries

Unfortunately, the rain I wrote about wiped out a lot of our already-ripened strawberries. The ones that were still green when the rains hit have mostly been picked, sold, and eaten as the season winds down for the year, although Penny says we'll probably be harvesting them in smaller amounts until the end of the weekend. For the past few days I've been singing a chorus of "No-I'm-sorry-we're-out-for-the-day-maybe-tomorrow-we-really-can't-guarantee" to a parade of disappointed customers.

It's reinforced that fact for me: in farming, you just can't guarantee. At the bakery where I used to work, nothing couldn't be done - if it wasn't in the display case, chances were we could bake or frost or fill it out back. But at the farm stand, it's up to mother nature. Customer service is not exactly what nature's about, and unfortunately a lot of people have to go home berryless. On the bright side, blueberry season isn't too far off...

In other news, I've finally figured out how to get my photos onto the computer! I plan on going back and adding them to my previous posts. Penny says she doesn't know how I function without a smart phone - I like my old-fashioned technology, my dumb phone and digital camera, but even they can be tricky to figure out...
beet greens ready to be washed
these were the early days, when there were only a few veggies to put out
the flowers are starting to look colorful
they become lovely little bouquets like this one by the register

No comments:

Post a Comment