Thursday, July 3, 2014

rainy day

Today was one of those hot, electric summer days, heavy with thunderstorm. The storm finally came around midafternoon. Since people tend to buy veggies while the sun is shining, the brief storm brought with it a little reprieve from an otherwise hectic day. It was nice to breathe for a moment, the farm stand quiet except for the percussive downpour on the roof.

Sydney confessed that she loves days like this. Poor Rachel, meanwhile, was out weeding when the rain hit, but she didn't let it stop her from finishing the job. Jamie got even messier today: after a morning spent planting flowers, she came back with dirt caked to every extremity including her nose. She seemed completely delighted.

Luckily, the rain had stopped and the hot sun had returned by the time I had to bike home at four. On my way, I got a photo of the farm from Wells Road, and if it comes out the way it seemed it will from the tiny preview on my digital camera, it shows the farm stand, the fields, and the tiny restaurant next door as if they are veiled in white mist. It wasn't really misty out, and I thought it was just my camera acting characteristically defunct. But on further inspection I found condensation on the lens, from the day's heat - at least, I think that's what it was. I can't help but find this really cool, somehow, this fake mist, this ghostly fog that exists only in the picture.
you don't have to think that the phantom fog is as cool as I do - but you can't deny that the farm is gorgeous

No comments:

Post a Comment