Sunday, July 20, 2014

corn city

The new buzzwords around the farm this week? Green beans, blueberries, and corn! But especially corn. The very first of the season came in on Friday, from Gillespie Farms in New Gloucester, and it's already completely sold out. 

I learned today that, judging by a blemished, unsaleable ear of corn I bit into, corn is just as good raw as it is cooked. Even this very early corn is sweet and juicy. My favorite vegetables are always the ones that taste like candy: carrots, peas, sungold tomatoes. With the two ears of corn I managed to snag, my mom and I made a lovely corn and tomato chowder with greenhouse tomatoes grown in Madison, Maine. Eat your heart out for now, but by the end of the week we should have more corn, courtesy of Maxwell's, and in about two and a half weeks Jordan's own corn will hit the stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment