Sunday, June 15, 2014

father's day

Yesterday, the sun finally broke through after a few days of torrential rain. In an open farm stand vulnerable to all the whims of temperature and wind, it’s hard not to comment on the weather, and everyone was in a sunny mood as they contributed their insight on the sunshine. I spent the loveliest part of the afternoon weeding the herb garden and enjoying the warmth.


I had Father's Day off and I celebrated it with my dad and some of the fruits of my coworkers' labors. At Susan's recommendation, we had radishes with butter and sea salt. Susan's a great cook and customers are always asking her for advice on how to prepare their veggies. In particular, this past week we've had the last of a fiddlehead crop which has befuddled many of our customers. Fuddled by fiddles.

Father's Day has satisfied, for now, my childhood obsession with radishes. It's not exactly their flavoralthough I like them just fine, and appreciate their personalitybut I've had a soft spot for radishes ever since Peter Rabbit stole them from Mr. MacGregor's garden in Beatrix Potter's children's book. That little book made radishes look so appealing!

I haven't started taking photos yet, but I promise I will soon. In the meantime, here is a picture of Peter Rabbit. Don't his veggies look delicious?

No comments:

Post a Comment