Sunday, June 15, 2014

first week

Friday marked the close of my first week at Jordan’s Farm. Like any first week, it’s been a storm of new faces, unfamiliar routines, and a few tricky customer questions. But I think I’m beginning to settle into life here: for the past few nights I’ve dreamed about spinach. In my first week, I’ve washed and packed so many bags of spinach and lettuce that leaves march across my eyelids as I sleep, and when I see a wilted leaf on the street I feel the urge to pluck it up and toss it in the compost bucket.

Week one has been about getting the lay of the farm stand. It’s a sweet building with wide, open front doors that let in delicious breezes—a perk most cashiers certainly don’t get. When I arrive in the mornings, Susan has already arranged the day’s vegetables beautifully. One of my jobs is to keep them looking “gorgeous,” primping and preening them with a spray bottle of cool water and invisible waves of affection.

After a cold spring and a damp, chilly week (You should have been here three weeks ago,” my coworker Jamie told me, shivering at the memory), summer is finally starting to assert its presence. I'm looking forward to my rookie season.
Rachel and some good old salad-packing

No comments:

Post a Comment